pauatahanui

Articles

War in Wellington

  • War in Wellington

    In 1846 fighting broke out in the Wellington region when the Ngāti Toa chief Te Rangihaeata backed local Maori opposed to European settlement in Hutt Valley. The campaign claimed few lives but effectively ended Ngāti Toa resistance in the region.

    Read the full article

  • Page 6 - Last battlesIn mid-1846, Governor George Grey decided to neutralise the Ngāti Toa threat in the Wellington region by arresting Te

Porirua’s double harbour evolved from an ancient river system, which was drowned by the rising sea about 5,000 years ago. Pāuatahanui is the northern arm of the harbour. In 1839, the London-based New Zealand Company acquired land around both arms of the harbour, and planned a township at Motukaraka on the Pāuatahanui Inlet. Ngāti Toa objected to the purchase of their land without their consent. In 1846, part of the tribe fought British troops in the Horokiri valley. Eventually their chief, Te Rangihaeata, retreated, allowing Europeans to settle around the harbour.

Meaning of place name
Pāuataha: a variety of kumara; nui: many.