upokongaro

Upokongaro Memorial Hall

The Upokongaro hall was opened in 1881. An extension was built in the 1940s. In 1952 a new facade designed by architect R.G. Talboys was added, and the building was rededicated as a war memorial hall. The hall, which is currently closed, contains a war memorial plaque listing nine soldiers from the Makirikiri district killed during the First World War (not pictured here), but the Upokongaro Second World War roll of honour is held in nearby St Mary's Anglican Church