Fairlie war memorial

Fairlie war memorial Fairlie war memorial Fairlie war memorial

Fairlie war memorial in c. 1986 (main image) and in 2007 (other images).

This memorial was unveiled on 16 December 1929. The original memorial was made from locally-sourced glacial boulders and limestone blocks. 

By the 1990s the stone had deterioated and in 1999 the orignal memorial was decommissioned and a new one built. The new memorial is made from Oamaru stone and retains the original marble plaques, which list the names of those from the district who lost their lives in war. A block of the old cenotaph and a record of its history have been placed as a time capsule at its base and some 30 Anzac rose bushes used in the landscaping.

The memorial was relocated a short distance to its current position after State Highways 8 and 79 were realigned.

In 2016 a further 35 First World War and seven Second World War names were added to a new plaque on the memorial following research by local historians.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Fairlie war memorial

What do you know?