Hiruhārama war memorials

Hiruhārama war memorials Hiruhārama war memorials Hiruhārama war memorials

There are three memorial sites within the small East Coast village of Hiruhārama: at the marae, the church and the school.

Ngā Tama Toa (‘Brave Sons’) dining hall on Hiruhārama Marae is dedicated to soldiers from the area who died on service overseas. The interior carvings are by Pine and John Taiapa.

St Michael’s Church stands on a knoll above the marae. In the churchyard are memorials to five local men who gave their lives during the Second World War: Pekama Hunia, Pouramua Nihoniho, Parekura Ferris, Karipori Hongara and Te Manawarere Hunia.

Hiruhārama School, to the south of the marae, holds the Hiruhārama Māori School Roll of Honour. This was unveiled by the Bishop of Aotearoa, the Rt. Rev. Wiremu Panapa, during the school’s jubilee celebrations in March 1961. It lists the names of 22 former pupils who served in the First World War, six of whom were killed in action, and of 66 former pupils who served in the Second World War, 11 of whom were killed in action. The dead included Victoria Cross winner 2nd Lieutenant Moana-Nui-a-Kiwa Ngarimu, who had attended Hiruhārama Native School. A portrait of him is displayed beside the roll of honour

See: Hiruharama 90th School Reunion, 1895-1985, Hiruhārama, 1985, pp. 13-14, 20-3, 29; Hiruharama School Centennial, ed. Monty Soutar, Palmerston North, 1995, pp. 55-66, 113-31, 171, 208, 223-4.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Hiruhārama war memorials

What do you know?