Homewood War Memorial Hall

Homewood War Memorial Hall

Homewood War Memorial Hall located in Marys Bay, Pelorus Sound, Marlborough. 

Plans for the war memorial hall were first mooted on 5 October 1946, shortly after the Second World War. A meeting of the Pelorus Sound Branch Federated Farmers was held at at David William Foote's' home in Homewood (Marys) Bay. Minutes from the meeting outline plans to build a memorial hall on land donated by Foote. But the land set aside proved unsuitable to build on, and a flatter section was chosen nearer the water. This land the hall was built on is now leased from the Department of Conservation. 

The RSA sponsored the scheme and the The Homewood Public War Memorial Hall was officially opened by MP Thomas Shand on 11 April 1953 followed by a celebratory dance the same evening.

The hall was used regularly by organisations like the Federated Farmers and The Correspondence School. Other regular use of the hall came from church services, RSA and Anzac Day services, weddings, christenings, farewells and fundraising functions. The Maritime Parks Board and Marlborough District Council held public meetings there and the hall frequently hosted the correspondence school children of the Sounds who enjoyed schooldays and Christmas parties there for nearly 50 years.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Homewood War Memorial Hall

What do you know?