St John the Baptist church memorials, Dannevirke

On 16 September 1917 two marble memorial tablets were unveiled in St John the Baptist Anglican Church, Dannevirke. These were headed:

TO THE / GLORY OF GOD / And in Memory of / THE MEN OF THIS DISTRICT / WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY.

They bore the names of all the men from the Dannevirke and Weber districts – not just Anglicans, but men of all beliefs and creeds - who had so far died in the war (‘Over the Range: Dannevirke and District’, Manawatu Times, 17/9/1917, p. 7).

After the end of the war, two further tablets were added, making a total of  222 names. The additional names included that of one nurse, Sister Mabel Helen Whishaw, who had died of influenza at Featherston Military Camp on 10 November 1918.

The tablets are today preserved in the new church (consecrated on 18 April 1961).

There are also several family memorials: a framed brass cross in memory of William John White, who was killed in action in France on 2 October 1916; a brass tablet in memory of Jack Tansley, who died of wounds in France on 31 October 1918; and a stained glass window (St Alban) in memory of H.E. Russell, who died in France 26 March 1918. Another stained glass window (St Stephen) was erected in thanksgiving for the end of the war.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about St John the Baptist church memorials, Dannevirke

What do you know?