Trinity Methodist Memorial Sunday School

In 1924, the members of Trinity Methodist Church, Dunedin, proposed building a new Sunday School on a nearby property as a memorial to men of the congregation who had given their lives during the war. The scheme was eventually scaled down, and instead the Sunday School was established in the gallery and ground floor of the existing church building. It was opened on 28 June 1930. A memorial tablet was dedicated during the opening ceremony. 

Some years later, the church building became surplus to church needs and was sold. The final service was held on Christmas Day 1977. The building was taken over by the Fortune Theatre, which itself closed down in April 2018.

The whereabouts of the memorial tablet is unknown.

See: 'Grand opening of new Trinity Memorial Sunday School' [public notice], Evening Star, 27/6/1930, p. 11; ‘Trinity Church: alterations and Improvements’Evening Star, 30/6/1930, p. 1; ‘Religious education’Otago Daily Times, 5/7/1930, p. 5; A.R. Brown, The Centenary of the First Methodist Church in Dunedin, 1962, pp. 16-17, 24

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Trinity Methodist Memorial Sunday School

What do you know?