Waiomatatini Marae memorial gates

Waiomatatini Marae memorial

The war memorial gates at the entrance to Waiomatatini Marae were originally erected at the nearby Waiomatatini Native School, but were were transferred to the marae after the school closed down in 1981. A photograph in the school’s jubilee history shows them in their original position (Waiomatatini School Jubilee, 1876-1976, Ruatoria, 1976, p. 76).

The marae also holds the school’s roll of honour. This lists the names and ranks of 31 men who served in the First World War, 75 in the Second World War, five in Borneo, five in Malaya, six in Vietnam and six in Singapore. A full list of names is found in the jubilee booklet, p. 77.

The bell tower that stands beside the wharenui (Porourangi) is a memorial to local servicemen Umuariki te Kani, who died of wounds in Italy on 1 August 1944, and Tau Rewharewha, who was killed in action on 3 August 1944.

Community contributions

No comments have been posted about Waiomatatini Marae memorial gates

What do you know?